Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cashman cashman is offline

Default Quick search required

I have a database of 5,500 surnames and associated data in excel [yes,
should probably use Access!]. It is always a task to quickly jump to
each entry using the "find" function - typing in the relative surname
will find the relative entry.

However, is there a way to have excel jump to just the change in in the
first letter of a group of surnames starting with the same alpha
character. I would envisage putting a control box or similar in the top
of the surname column [A1] . i.e just type in the letter "B" and the
cursor will jump to the first surname in column A containing the first
surname containg ithe letter B

In this instance, typing in the letter "B"in cell A1 would immediately
jump the cursor to cell
A4, typing in E in cell A1, would jump the cursor to A7 and so on
1 B
2 Aamic
3 Aauld
4 Baby