Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Combobox and data validation

You might look at their
http://www.contextures.com/DataValComboCheck.zip file instead, although that
one seems to be problematic - I get an "not valid for cell..." message even
when choosing from the provided list.

But it should give you an idea of what's going on - choose from the combo
box and it tosses your entry into the cell which has been set up with data
validation and it is the one that actually tosses up the invalid alert
message.

As for moving out of one of those without clicking elsewhere, I don't know
how.

One thing you might look at is using the Combo box from the Forms toolbar,
which can be directly tied to a list and which pretty much forces you to
select from the list so the validating is unnecessary.

"GlenC" wrote:

Having some problems with this so I've been reviewing the "Contextures"
tutorials.
With the "DataValCombobox.xls" sample file, I entered an item (in the Combo
box) not on the list and when I clicked on another cell it accepted the bad
name. If I try to make the same error in the validation dropdown list (not
doubleclicked cell) it's not allowed.

Can anyone tell me how to ensure that the combobox entries are validated
when the box is left?

Also, is there a way to exit the Combo box with keystrokes and not have to
use the mouse to select another cell?
--
Glen