Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Locking all cells accross when sorting columns

David

To ensure columns sort together, always pre-select all columns to sort in the
range.

Then DataSort(don't use the icons) and select the column to sort on.

DO NOT let Excel guess for you.

There is no way, unless you use code, to lock the columns together.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:42:27 +0100, "David" wrote:

Hi

Is there any way of locking all cells next to each other accross so that the
document can only be ssorted via columns?

I want to use Excel as a DVD database whereby all the information of a
particualr DVD is stored as fields accross the documnet i.e. title, genre,
year, number.

If I wanted to sort my database for example by genre, I could hightlight
that field's column and then click on the chronological sort icons.
Unfortunately, if the cells accross aren't locked then this would be useless
as a DVD's fields would no longer relate to each other.

I know it is possible to lock 2 fields (columns) together and then sort them
by whichever was highlighted first.

Thanks for your attention and any advice you can give me.

David