Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default Help with referencing please

"SteveW" wrote in message news:op.tfjuooj7evjsnp@enigma03...
The first format was clear :)
But the idea is the same, move/plan data layout so that it can be used
easily
Bit like entering names as "Surname, FirstName" or better in 2 cells
So many put all the names in as "FirstName Surname" and then want to sort
by Surname

Cheers, Steve

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:26:40 +0100, Epinn
wrote:

Sorry, the alignment of the table was off. Let me try again.

Floor
Room #.
Wake-up call at
Newspaper
1
102
6.00
2
202
6.00
2
207
6.00
1
103
6.25
2
203
6.25
0
12
6.50
1
104
6.50
2
204
6.50
2
206
6.50
1
101
7.00
1
106
7.00
2
201
7.00
1
107
7.25
1
105
7.30
2
205
7.30

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message
I am not trying to do exactly what Matt has in mind. But if my purpose
is to get a list of room numbers for the calling time and I don't have
to stick to a certain layout, I'll do the following.

Each record will have four fields.

Floor Room # Wake-up call at Newspaper (Y/N)

Then I'll do a sort by wake-up call and then by room #. I don't have to
be bothered with formulas. It will look like this:-

Floor Room #. Wake-up call at Newspaper
1 102 6.00 Y
2 202 6.00 N
2 207 6.00 N
1 103 6.25 Y
2 203 6.25 N
0 12 6.50 Y
1 104 6.50 Y
2 204 6.50 N
2 206 6.50 N
1 101 7.00 Y
1 106 7.00 Y
2 201 7.00 N
1 107 7.25 Y
1 105 7.30 Y
2 205 7.30 N

Matt's layout is going across while mine is going down. Let me give it
some more thought and see how my layout can be transformed to Matt's.

One can also hide the wake-up call column so that the newspaper column
is right beside room #. Then feel free to do a sort by newspaper column.

All this may not serve Matt's purpose but I feel like picking my brain.
Thank you for reading.

Epinn

"Matt" wrote in message
I'll try and explain exactly how my spreadsheet is laid out and what i'm
trying to achieve.

The sheet is designed to log newspapers and wakeup calls that are
ordered by
guests in a hotel. I have the newspaper side of things working as
intended,
but the wakeup calls are giving me a headache.

It is laid out like this:-

Worksheet 1.

Columns A, B and C allocated to the ground floor.

Column A = Room numbers
Column B = requested Newspaper
Column C = Wakeup call

Columns D, E and F allocated to the first floor.

Column D = Room numbers
Column E = requested Newspaper
Column F = Wakeup call

Columns G, H and I allocated to the Second floor.

Column G = Room numbers
Column H = requested Newspaper
Column I = Wakeup call

Columns J, K and L allocated to the Third floor.

Column J = Room numbers
Column K = requested Newspaper
Column L = Wakeup call

Columns M, N and O allocated to the Fourth floor.

Column M = Room numbers
Column N = requested Newspaper
Column O = Wakeup call

Worksheet 2.

Column A has a list of times ranging from 4:00am to 11:00am at 5 minute
intervals. For example:-

4:00
4:05
4:10
4:15
etc. etc.

I what like the worksheet 2 to scan the wakeup call collumns in
worksheet 1
(columns C, F, I, L and O) and return the room number next to the
desired
times.

Hopefully, if possible, worksheet 2 would look something like this

TIME ROOM NUMBERS
6:00 79 170 176
6:05 75 171 189 190
6:10