Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
SteveW SteveW is offline

Default Help with referencing please

Yes have your data as
Column A = Floor
Column B = Room numbers
Column C = requested Newspaper
Column D = Wakeup call

Yes it means that A has "Ground" repeated in in each for the Ground Floor
but unless the room numbers include the floor you'll need that

You can look at your data by "Floor", by having a Filter on Row 1
(headings)
and in column A choose "First" - just shoing First floor info etc.

Now for the problem....

Still messy I'm off for a cup of tea
But at least all the data you'll need is in one column

bfn - will be back

was going to post above, but I've had my tea :)

I won't post it here but this is what I got that gives you the information

Plan - 2 stages, will have 2 macros (with buttons) for each

stage 1 - advanced filter on the data in A:D to extract all the rooms
that have a wakeup call

stage 2 - sort this extracted data by time, then floor
so you'll end up with a result table like

Wakeup Room Floor Paper
7:05 399 Third Yes
7:20 105 First No
8:00 350 Third No

It's not perfect but you end up with a sorted (by time) list

Stage 1 copy A1:D1 to K1:N1
in F1:I1 put Wakeup, Room, Floor, Paper
F1:I1 will get the records with time
Put 0 into N1

Record the following (comments in brackets)
Data, Filter, Advanced Filter...
click on Copy to another location
(Set the 3 ranges to)
A1:D20 K1:N2 and F1:I20 (change row 20 to fit your data)
Click OK, and Stop the macro
(I assigned this macro to a button - label *Get data*)

Stage 2
Record the following
Select F1:I20 (adjust for your data)
Data, Sort..
Sort by Wakeup, Room
Click OK, and Stop the macro
(I assigned this macro to a button - label *Sort it*)

Now keep the room info upto date, emter Wakeup times etc
Click on *Get data* then *Sort it*

Those are the basics

Steve

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 06:34:12 +0100, Biff wrote:

Your setup is not conducive to being able to do this.

Instead of setting up the floors side by side you should set them up to
be
stacked on top of each other. Like this:

Ground
data
data

First
data
data
data

Second
data
data

How many rooms are there? You would need one formula per room for every 5
minute increment. So, from 4:00 to 11:00 is 85 5 minute increments times
total number of rooms.

Biff

"Matt" wrote in message
I'll try and explain exactly how my spreadsheet is laid out and what i'm
trying to achieve.

The sheet is designed to log newspapers and wakeup calls that are
ordered
by
guests in a hotel. I have the newspaper side of things working as
intended,
but the wakeup calls are giving me a headache.

It is laid out like this:-

Worksheet 1.

Columns A, B and C allocated to the ground floor.

Column A = Room numbers
Column B = requested Newspaper
Column C = Wakeup call

Columns D, E and F allocated to the first floor.

Column D = Room numbers
Column E = requested Newspaper
Column F = Wakeup call

Columns G, H and I allocated to the Second floor.

Column G = Room numbers
Column H = requested Newspaper
Column I = Wakeup call

Columns J, K and L allocated to the Third floor.

Column J = Room numbers
Column K = requested Newspaper
Column L = Wakeup call

Columns M, N and O allocated to the Fourth floor.

Column M = Room numbers
Column N = requested Newspaper
Column O = Wakeup call

Worksheet 2.

Column A has a list of times ranging from 4:00am to 11:00am at 5 minute
intervals. For example:-

4:00
4:05
4:10
4:15
etc. etc.

I what like the worksheet 2 to scan the wakeup call collumns in
worksheet
1
(columns C, F, I, L and O) and return the room number next to the
desired
times.

Hopefully, if possible, worksheet 2 would look something like this

TIME ROOM NUMBERS
6:00 79 170 176
6:05 75 171 189 190
6:10