Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default MVP's, please help me understand SUMPRODUCT.

Okay, one step forward and one step backward ... ;) This sounds like something beyond me.

On September 7, someone (jv4_2+1) posted this question:-

"I have a range of cells and in that range if I enter any type of text/number
I want the rest of the row that cell belongs to, to be blacked out or marked
somehow to show that, that row has an entry in it already."

The answer submitted by Max in Singapore is this.

"Assume range is A1:D5

Select A1:D5 (with A1 active)
Click Format Conditional Formatting

Under Condition 1, make the setting as:
Formula is:
=SUMPRODUCT(--MATCH(TRUE,$A1:$D1<"",0))<COLUMN(A1)
Click "Format" Patterns tab Black OK
Click OK at the main dialog"

Wow! SUMPRODUCT and double negating!! I have no idea how to interpret the above. But somehow I wonder if the above formula is an example of the situation that Bob and Ken talk about where only negating works and "*" won't. I shall try to play with it. The poster did mention data might be text/number.

Wonder what a **simpler** alternative formula will be? Since it is a range, probably needs an array formula?

Epinn

"Ken Wright" wrote in message ...
I actually do know of one situation where "*" doesn't work and -- does,
but
I can't recall it now <bg.

When you have text interspersed with the numeric values you are summing, or
when you have included the headers in your ranges and your headers are text.
:-)

Regards

<snip