Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
terrideo terrideo is offline

Default Formatting part of text

I think I may have solved it myself -- I changed the number format from
Accounting (my default) to General, and now it works. That would explain why
it worked on other people's spreadsheets, because they still had the General
number default.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Do you have any event macros running in the background?

If you open the workbook with macros disabled, does it work ok?

terrideo wrote:

No, it's only text. No numbers, formulas or functions.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Is the value in the cell text or a formula (or even a number)?

This kind of character by character formatting only works with text.

So you couldn't use a strikethrough font for just "hello" in the following
formula:
="Hello from us on " & text(today(),"mm/dd/yyyy")

terrideo wrote:

I have text in a cell, and I want to format part of it (one word) with a
strike-through font. I selected the word and right clicked, clicked Format
cells, and selected the Strike-through box. While I'm in the edit mode for
that cell, I can see the formatting, but when I click Enter or move to
another cell, the strike-through disappears and only the defaulf format
shows.

I have had the same problem when I've tried to used colored text or
underlining in part of a cell. But I know it's possible to format part of a
cell, because I've done it on other worksheets!

Does anyone know what I might be missing?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson