Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default Excel addition formulas

pippawl,

I assume that you are getting the formula returned in the cell instead of
the number that you were expecting. This suggests that the cell was
formatted as text before you entered the formula.

Try deleting the fromula, re-formatting the cell as General:
Format Cells Number General
then single clicking into the cell and then clicking on Autosum,
highlighting the range and the pressing Enter.

However, it is just as easy - no, it is easier - for you to bild the formula
yourself:

single click into the cell and type:

=sum(
then highlight the rage that you want and Excel will wter the range for you:

=SUM(C8:C16
then add the closing bracket and press enter:

=SUM(C8:C16)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"pippawl" wrote in message

have never used formulas in excel before and am battling a bit.

I am trying to add just one simple column of numbers but am having no
luck.

I double click on the cell where I want the total to be and then click
on
auto sum, then 'highlight' the cells I want to be added up and then
press
enter.

The answer I receive is =SUM(H4:H31) which is the correct span of
cells.

Why is it not giving me the total in numbers?

Please help I am going crazy!!

--
pippawl