Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default why can't I average 36 values?

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:20:01 -0700, pingwin77
wrote:

I am trying to average 36 seperate values in 36 different cells but I keep
getting an error. Is there a limit on how many cells can be used in a
function? If not, what am I doing wrong? If there is a limit, how do I get
around this issue?

From Excel Specifications:

Arguments in a function 30

You "get around" it by referencing the cells with less than 30 arguments.

For example: =AVERAGE(A1:A36)

If the cells are non-contiguous, you may be able to group them or NAME the
non-contiguous range, or use some kind of formula to refer to the
non-contiguous range.

Worst case scenario where neither of the above is applicable:

=(A1+B4+C16+D92+.....) / 36

--ron