Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lila Lila is offline

Default limit characters returned a cell reference

Is char(10) the code for the soft return?

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
look for char(10) in your =search() or =find().

Lila wrote:

I have a column that has several lines of text in it. Each row of text

has a
soft return (Alt-Enter) to force certain text to go to the next line.

Now I want to do a cell reference that only shows the text on the first

row.
I found the "Right", "Left" and "Mid" function, but those seem to only

be
able to limit by the number of characters and the number of characters

in
the first row of text varies greatly from cell to cell.

I thought I could combine the "Search" or "Find" function to look for

the
soft return, return the position of the return and place it in the

"Left"
function, but I can not figure out how to search for the soft return.

Any suggestions?

--
Lila

--