FNORD

Thank you so much for your help. I'm almost off work, so I'll test that
macro tomorrow, although I'm not too worried if I can't get those to
hyperlink again.

I'm the only person in the office that has access to make changes to our
database (everyone else is "read-only"). About 3 or 4 months ago, I started
getting a display about how macro's were disabled when I first open my
database. Now, this is most likely caused by our IS Dept. setting the macro
security to high (because that's what it was set to today and has been for
the past few months apparently.... because I had to change the settings to
low so that I could create the macro). Therefore, if the macros were
disabled, I don't think it was a malicious macro affecting our database.
Honestly it was fine one moment, then all of a sudden it started going crazy
hyperlinking on me. Now when I say hyperlink... I don't mean it was a
regular blue hyperlink... it looked like the regular text it should be, but
when you held your cursor over it.. it would have the "mailto: "
thing and when you click on the cell it would open the email program. The
email address wouldn't even be from that row... but a completely random email
address elsewhere in the database. When I would right click on the cell and
click "remove hyperlink" it would remove it in that cell alone and then turn
everything in the cells to the right of it a BLUE normal hyperlink and mess
the formatting up. I asked our IS department and they haven't even touched
my database. Weird huh!

I really appreciate all of your help with this.

"FNORD" wrote:

Hello -

We're on Excel 2002 SP3 and use Windows XP.

Our database here at my work is HUGE... and incorporates a mixture of names,
addresses...etc... plus EMAIL addresses. These email addresses show as
hyperlinks, which of course causes our default email program to open up and
input that email address in the "to" line so that we can email that
person.... which totally isn't a problem and exactly what we want.

The problem I'm having now though lies upon any row that has an email
address. ...(we have multiple email addresses in our rows along with other
data)... If I click on ANYTHING in that row... even something that ISN'T an
email address, or a hyperlink (i.e. a name, city, or whatever that is
standard text)... it's doing the whole "mailto:" thing and opening up my
email program and inserting a RANDOM email address that was pulled from our
database.

What's even more strange€¦. is that it's only applied to some of the columns
on the right. It appears the first half of our columns aren't affected by
this.

Now I've TRIED the Microsoft help menu to "deactivate several hyperlinks"
and it refers me to go to "paste special" under the edit screen, then click
"OPERATION"?? I don't even seen an option to choose "operation" at this
point. The only screens I see are - source: "unicode text" or "text" and
neither of those options work while selecting multiple cells.

I know I can go through the 10,000+ cells and right click on each and select
"remove hyperlink"... but that just seems silly if there can be a faster way.

Also... I have NO idea how this problem started... it just started doing
this within the past day or so.

Please help! =(

I'll continuously check this and I'll be happy to provide any further
details.