Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default LEFT Worksheet function

The formula I give you above worked for me.

What happens if you use the formula I give you and then you press F9 (which
forces Excel to recalculate)?

Any luck?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"loren.pottinger" wrote:

All,

I am baffled none of those work. They only return dep or Amort for all
the cells regardless of what is in column G.

Bernard wrote:
The function LEFT expects text data. Its argument (which I suspect is a
number) should therefore be first converted to text.
Also the quantity it is compared to (namely 17) should be presented as text,
that is "17".

Try this:
=IF(LEFT(TEXT(G7,"#"),2) = "17","Dep", "Amort")

"loren.pottinger" wrote:

=IF(LEFT(G7,2) = 17,"Dep", "Amort")

I constructed the above function to return Dep if the first two digits
starting from the leftmost digit in cell G7 is 17 and return Amort
otherwise, please help. This formula looks so right to me.