Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default total on filtered data?

Hi Martyn,

"2" is for COUNT, "9" is for SUM. Excel Help for SUBTOTAL worksheet
function will show you the other values you can use.

Hope this helps.

Pete

martyn wrote:
Thanks, I had found subtotal just after a posted the question and using
subtotal(2, range).

not sure what putting different numbers in does but it works

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Instead of using SUM(range) use SUBTOTAL(9,range) - this will show the
sum of the filtered values and will adjust when you change the filter.

If you have a long list, you might like to put the totals on the top
row (insert a new row 1 and cut/paste the total row to the new row 1).
If you also use Window | Freeze panes then you will always be able to
see your totals after you apply a filter.

Hope this helps.

Pete

martyn wrote:
I have what would appear to be a simple issue totaling filtered data as below

Dept count
NESAS 1
NESAS 1
blabla 1
3

Rate 22
Total 66
How can I get the above to work when I filter the data? For instance if I
filter by the code NESAS the sum should equal 2 NOT 3 and this would then
give total of 44