Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JBoulton JBoulton is offline

Default automatically fill in blank cells??

If you have a table listing the item number and description you could use
=VLOOKUP().

If your table was in D1:E500 and your item number was in A1 you could put
the following in B1 and it would return the description:

=VLOOKUP(A1,$D$1:$E$500,1,FALSE)

Then you could copy B1 down for as many items as you have listed in column A.

"AlaskaMX" wrote:

I enter in a lot of item numbers and the same description over and over. So
is it possible to type in the item number in one cell and have it
automatically fill in the description in the next cell?

"JBoulton" wrote:

Where would the "different info" come from?

"AlaskaMX" wrote:

Can I type info in 1 cell and have it automatically put different info in the
next cell? Kinda like autofill but not that exact option. This would be
extremely helpfull in my spreadsheets.