Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Find & Replace a string contained in a link

How about just using
Edit|links|Change sources.

Matt from GVA wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with numerous external links to numerous files. A
typical link would contain the following string:

8. August\[Project 1 Aug.xls]Data Tab'$L$25

I would change string to:

9. September\[Project 1 Sep.xls]Data Tab'$L$25

The constraint is that the filename also changes throughout the spreadsheet,
for instance, also want the following found and replaced:

OLD:8. August\[Project 2 Aug.xls]Data Tab'$L$25
NEW:9. September\[Project 2 Sep.xls]Data Tab'$L$25

OLD:8. August\[Project 3 Aug.xls]Data Tab'$L$25
NEW:9. September\[Project 3 Sep.xls]Data Tab'$L$25

etc., etc.,

I have tried using the following wildcard find/replace:
FIND: 8. August*Aug
REPLACE: 9. September*Aug

But while the find works, the replace just produces a "formula you typed
containes an error" message.

Any pointers? I'm sure this kind of find & replace is possible in Word...

Thanks,
Matt

--

Dave Peterson