Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default writing on an excel file

From where did you "download Excel"?

Maybe you downloaded the Excel Viewer which allows you to open and view/print
Excel files, but nothing else.

Maybe you really have Excel, but the worksheet is protected?

Maybe the employer saved the file as read-only?

Do you get any error messages when you attempt to edit the active sheet?

If so, what are they?

Many scenarios available here.

Your ability to edit the workbook depends upon........

1. Do you have Excel installed

2. If yes, is the sheet protected.

3. Did the employer save as read-only.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:06:02 -0700, RITZ wrote:

my employer emailed me an expense report and i downloaded excel. i can't seem
to write on this document. is it because its a read only fiel? how do i
convert it to be able to edit and write in my expenxes? HELP!!!!!!