Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jerid B Jerid B is offline

Default Formula Help (If it's Even Possible To Do)

Leo... THANK YOU!! It works beautifully!!

"Leo Heuser" wrote:

"Jerid B" skrev i en meddelelse
It's for a football pool and I told the guy I;d research and play around
see if it's possible.
The spreadsheet looks like this:
NAME 16 15
Bob Pitts New England
Joe Seattle Minnesota

It goes 16 through 1
Say Bob gets them all right except 15 (which he picked New England to win)
he gets 121 (possible out of 136 points).
Bob is in row 2 and takes up 16 columns. Right now I do the math by hand.
Is
there a way to assign a cell a number value even though a team name is
entered in it?
The ideal situation is to check after the games and delete the wrong
entries
and then use a SUM at the end. But for that to work a row needs a value I
take it.
I am quite lost on what to do here.
I am open to other ideas as well!

Hi Jerid

You can use SUMIF() instead of SUM()
Assuming Headings (NAME 16 15 etc.) in B1:Q1

1. In R2 enter this formula:
=SUMIF(B2:Q2,"<",$B$1:$Q$1)

2. Copy R2 down with the fill handle
(The little square in the lower right corner of the cell)

The solution assumes that you delete the wrong entries.

--
Best regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.