Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David David is offline

Default Merging Cells

Many thanks for this. But I keep getting the message'Compile Error:
Expected: list seperator or )' and the exclamation mark in the code becomes
highlighted.

David

--
David Kitching Msc. Msc.
Managing Director

Tel: +44 (0) 1789 470040
Mob: +44 (0) 7799 118518
www.naturaldeco.co.uk

David

You say "many" to a single cell.

You can combine data from many cells to one cell by using a formula like

=A1&B1&C1&D1&E1&F1 etc.

If "many" is a great whack you might do better with a User Defined
Function.

Function ConCatRange(CellBlock As Range) As String
Dim cell As Range
Dim sbuf As String
For Each cell In CellBlock
If Len(cell.text) 0 Then sbuf = sbuf & cell.text & ","
Next
ConCatRange = Left(sbuf, Len(sbuf) - 1)
End Function

Usage is =ConCatRange(Sheet1!A1:A43) or your choice.

I would not use this on more than about 200 cells at a time. Excel won't
show
all the characters past about 1000 characters.

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more
on
"getting started".

In the meantime..........

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the above code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Enter the formula as shown above.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:53:38 +0100, "David" wrote:

Hi

I have a list of a couple of thousand postcodes in a column in a
spreadsheet. Each postcode occupies its own cell. Examples of each
postcode
might be AB10 or AB11 or AB12 etc. I want to cut and paste these postcodes
to another sheet, many codes to be pasted into single cells.

I tried to merge the cells as they stand so that I could collectively copy
and paste them but excel says that the cells contain multiple data values
and won;t let me merge them.

Can anyone tell me how to do this without cutting and pasting the contents
of each cell, one at a time please?

Many thanks
Dave

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP