Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JSM123456 JSM123456 is offline

Default CONVERT TO (###) ###-####

I have the dashes physically in between. Your formula is almost perfect, is
there a way to add the dash before the last four digits? Your help is
appreciated.

"tim m" wrote:

I just did a format cells....special...phone number and it came out the way
you wanted when i entered data. Is your problem that you physically have the
dashes inbetween the numbers thus making them text?

You could make another column and copy this formula into it. (assuming your
phone numbers start in A1)

="("&LEFT(A1,3)&") "&RIGHT(A1,8)

"JSM123456" wrote:

How do you convert a phone number in this format xxx-xxx-xxxx to (###)
###-####? I've tried format, cells, custom, (###) ###-#### and "(###)
###-####" but neither worked. I can convert to ########## if needed. I
appreciate your help.