Earl Kiosterud

Dave, Rich,

I agree that it was a nice job on Rich's part getting your table posted and
having it come out intact. I can't tell you how many posts I've abandoned
in frustration because the posted table got so convoluted. For general
edification, here are some tips for folks for posting a table (row/column
stuff):

1. Use a non-proportional font when you compose your post that contains a
table (Courier is good). That way, every character has the same horizontal
spacing, and stuff lines up vertically in the various lines of the post.
Sending in plain text (as opposed to html) is the preferred method for
newsgroups, though in that case it's important that any reader of a post
also use a non-proportional font for displaying the post, so the spacing
will be maintained. I suppose sending in html would force the use of the
non-proportional font at the reader's machine too. I guess all newsreaders
can handle html by now. Anyone have any thoughts on the best netiquette?

In Outlook Express, controlling the font used for composing a post is done
with Tools - Options - Compose, and for reading a post, with Tools -
Options - Read.

2. Keep the lines under 76 characters. Line wrapping messes up the table
readily. You won't see the wrapping as it will be sent as you compose, so
you may not realize the lines will wrap. A maximized window will hold 132
characters of Courier on a line, but normally Outlook Express is set to wrap
(actually put a linefeed in the line when the post is sent) after 76 (or
some such) characters. It's a bit primitive.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Dave O" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi, Rich-
First, let me say "Nice job" in detailing the column layout in your
original post. These often get mangled when they get posted, but yours
survived intact and made determining the answer very easy.