Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
SteveW SteveW is offline

Default in a column of numb's and names, put the numb's in other colum

Glad it worked, thanks for the feedback

Steve

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:39:03 +0100, Oswin
wrote:

Hello Steve,
The first time I tried your suggestion within my file and I believe
because
the scanned data file, I had a little problem. After I copied the 2200
record column into a test file, everything worked out just great. I had
bit of work correcting the data, but it was nothing compared to if I had
first all the numbers manually and then remove the numbers from the name
column.
I want you to know, I really appreciated your input to my problem!
Thanks again,
Oswin

"SteveW" wrote:

As long as the data is in some consistant format
like number space name
or each number is of a fixed width
The click on the column, Data, Text to Columns...

Then either split the text on space or after a particular column in the
data

Remember it will overwrite the columns to to the right
suggest you add in a couple of blank ones - delete unwanted ones
afterwards

Steve

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:23:01 +0100, Oswin
wrote:

I have over 2000 lines of a tag # number plus a dog name in one

column in
excel 2003 which I scanned in. Can anyone tell me if I can edit the
numbers
into another column automatically??? The entire column in one edit
operation??? The tag # into another column. Other than re-typing

each
line.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Oswin