Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T Kirtley T Kirtley is offline

Default Text entries behaving like numbers

Excel is interpreting the values in rows 2 - 5 as dates since the structure
of the text looks like a MM-YYYY date value. The first and last rows don't do
this because they dont resolve to a date value that Excel suppports.

To fix this you could precede the text with an apostrophe, or format the
column as text and then re-enter the text strings.

HTH,

TK
"jkiser" wrote:

I've got some text entries in Column A1 through A6 as follows:

11-1021
11-3021
11-3051
11-9021
11-9041
13-1073

I've written a short test formula in cells B1 through B6 as follows:

=A1*1
=A2*1
=A3*1
=A4*1
=A5*1
=A6*1

The formula results in cells B1 through B6 as follows:

#VALUE! (as expected)
409743
420700
2601198
2608503
#VALUE! (as expected)

The results in cells B1 and B6 are as I expect, but I can't get rid of the
numbers in cells B2 through B5.

It appears the entries in cells A2 though A5 are behaving like numbers. For
instance, if I change the entry in A3 to 11-3021 the formula result changes
to 409743. I've checked and double-checked the formatting.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks