Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Franz Verga Franz Verga is offline

Default in a column of numb's and names, put the numb's in other colum

Oswin wrote:
I have over 2000 lines of a tag # number plus a dog name in one
column in excel 2003 which I scanned in. Can anyone tell me if I can
edit the numbers into another column automatically??? The entire
column in one edit operation??? The tag # into another column.
Other than re-typing each line. Thank you in advance for your help,
Oswin

Hi Oswin,

Do you have space between numbers and names? How many digit do the numbers
have?

If I assume you have a space between numbers and names and that your data
are in column 1 starting from A2, you could use this formula in an empty
cell:

=value(left(A2,find(" ",A2)-1))

If I assume you have 5 digits numbers and no space between numbers and names
and that your data are in column 1 starting from A2, you could use this
formula in an empty cell:

=value(left(A2,5))

--
Hope I helped you.