EM

I've been struggling with the same problem...
didn't quite understand what "To get the stop button back, when you are
recording a macro go to view
toolbars and stop recording" means...

"Paul B" kirjoitti
Hiking, use date instead of =today() , something like ActiveCell = Date
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Hiking" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have a column named Last Update, into which I want to be able to click
on a row and press a key combination and have today's date automatically
stamped in this cell.

I created a macro, it inserts "=today()" in the current active cell,

which
is fine, I execute my macro and see today's date in the cell. Problem is
that when I look at that cell tomorrow, it will no longer have

yesterday's
date in it.

Somehow I need the function to insert in that cell the value of the
formula, and not the formula itself, so's when I open the sheet in the
future, I will see in the cell the date when the macro was executed.

I'm fairly certain this is a very simple thing to do, but as anyone

who's
tried to make use of Excel's help knows, there is very little usable
information here. I've searched the net, but always find how to do
everything else but what I specifically need.

I tried putting the =today() formula somewhere else in the sheet so as I
could copy and then paste the value of the formula only, but I need to
edit the macro so as it won't paste the value to the cell that was

active
at the time I created the macro. If you're not familiar with VB, this

is
no small feat.

To make matters MUCH WORSE, I was going to try recording the macro with
the "Relative" button depressed on the small Macro toolbar which appears
when I would be recording a macro, but I made the mistake of trying to
cancel a macro recording by clicking on the "X" close button of this

small
toolbar. Now when I'm recording macros, I don't have this toolbar pop

up
any more, along with the "Relative" button that was on this toolbar.
Anyone of you daring enough to try this in order to attempt to find this
little Macro toolbar over again? Careful. I've looked all over the
"Customize" window, but cannot find this "Relative" button anymore.

Where
is it???

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.