Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sysmas sysmas is offline

Default Excel icon changes on shared files

Curious observation - we have some shared Excel files on our network.
When we browse the directories containing the files, the "normal" Excel
icon looks different. Instead of the usual appearance, there is a small
clock in the lower right corner of the icon.

I thought it might be an indicator that the file was only available to
open as read-only, but that's not the case - we can open and close the
file without getting any warnings about read-only, etc. Interestingly
enough, once we do that - open and close the file - the icon reverts to
it's normal appearance.

When we check the attrib of the file before opening it (when the icon
is different) the attrribs are normal - i.e., no read-only bit is set.

What am I seeing here and is it of any consequence? Thanks for your
anticipated feedback!

sysmas