Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default How do I enter NUMBERS with leading zeros In Excel ie 001, 002 ?

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:15:02 -0700, bobl3517
wrote:

see subject. I am using Office 2003 and wish to log series of 3 - 5 digit
serial numbers and also record similar numbers in randonm order but excel
persists in deleting leading zeros unless I enter the figures as as text.
Thanks.

You must either enter them as text or custom format the cell.

For example, Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: "000" or "00000"

If you custom format the cells as above, you will not need to enter the leading
zero's.

If you want to enter a variable number of leading zeros, unless there is some
method of determining the correct number of leading zero's, you will have to
enter as text.
--ron