Debra Dalgleish

You could record code as you unprotect the sheet, refresh the pivot
table, and reprotect the sheet.

Then, run that code as required, e.g. after you've updated the source
data, or when the pivot sheet is activated.

mikeb wrote:
Pivot Tables in my workbooks cannot be refreshed when I turn on protection. I
have checked that the cells are unlocked, and cannot get a worksheet to be
protected and allow a refresh.

Any thoughts?

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

You can protect the worksheet, and allow users to use the PivotTables:

Choose ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet
Add a check mark to 'Use PivotTable Reports'
You can use a password
Click OK

Greg Goodman wrote:

Learn something new every day...I have often changed the Field names of
row/column items in pivot tables but don't recall (maybe I never tried) being
able to overtype an actually row/column line item value. Now that I've seen
it, I don't
care for it much.

Know of any way to prevent it while still allowing changes/refreshing of the
pivot table?

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

The behaviour hasn't changed -- in Excel 97 and Excel 2002 I can type
over the items in row or column headings, and type over the names in
field buttons. These remain changed when the pivot table is refreshed.

Greg Goodman wrote:

In all earlier versions of Excel, pivottable page, row, & column elements could
not be changed...now, in 2003, we find that the text of an item can be over
typed,
retained, and not returned to it's original form during a refresh. This seems
a little odd.

Is this a new 'feature' or just a new bug?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List