Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PamKT PamKT is offline

Default Vlookup text conversion issue

I am getting inconsistent results from a vlookup
I am querying on field X which contains text -- or at least it looks like
text. could be a combination of numbers and letters. -- usually numbers that
have leading zeros

I have a search table with the same values -- or what looks like the same
values.

When I do my vlookup -- to make it find the correct answer, i have to go
into my query table cell and hit return. I've tried formatting both sets of
columns as General, Text, etc. and can't seem to overcome. The data is
imported from another program. I think it has something to do with the data
in my query table not have an EOL character ??? Short of going into every
cell and hitting RETURN/ENTER -- is there someway to get both my query cells
and search cells to be formatted the same?