Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Motown Mick Motown Mick is offline

Default How do I segment a column of data into size ranges in Excel?

Biff,

Thanks, that worked great. I thought of the "guhzillion" thing in there, I
guess that's the simplest and easiest thing to do.

Now I am trying to take the results in the E column and divide them by a
single constant scalar and display the results in an adjoining column. I
know about the "paste special" command. But for some reason, I cannot copy
those E column results to another column where I can do that on it, and leave
the E results unharmed. Do you know how I can do this?

Mick

"Biff" wrote:

Ok....

1. I just used a range of A1:A25 for demonstration purposes. Use your actual
range whatever it may be, or if you want, use the entire column A:A.

2. You can do a couple of things for this.

A. use an upper boundary value that you know you will never exceed. Like

250,000..........10,000,000,000

B. use a separate formula for this last group with just the single boundary:

=SUMIF(A:A,"="&C10)

Where C10 = 250,000

Biff

"Motown Mick" wrote in message
Biff,

That worked fine. A couple of further ques.:

1. I only tried if for a couple of the value ranges that I knew would fall
into the area of A1:A25. I'm assuming, the way you set up the syntax,
that
Excel would disregard entries in A that fell out of that segment. So for
instance, for the range 500-749, if all the entries in A that fell into
those
bounds were in cells of A greater than 25 (say, A26:A99), given the
formula
you've given me, the sum would be zero. I would like to set it so that it
searches the entire column of A for values that fall into the specified
ranges. How do I do that?

2. The final value range is open at the top; in other words, I want to sum
all values in Col. A that take a value of, say, 250,000 on up to infinity.
What would I write in col. D to represent "infinity"?

Mick

"Biff" wrote:

Ok.....

Set up some cells to hold your value ranges:

............C...........D.............E.....
1.........0..........249.......formula
2.......250........499.......formula
3.......500........749.......formula

Assume the range of numbers is in A1:A25

Enter this formula in E1 and copy down as needed:

=SUMIF(A$1:A$25,"="&C1)-SUMIF(A$1:A$25,""&D1)

Biff

"Motown Mick" wrote in message
Biff,

This is almost like what I want to do except that:

1. Say I'm dealing with Column A. I'm looking for a way to sum by
VALUE,
not cell designation. So rather than summing A1:A10, A11:A20, I would
like
to know how to sum all the entries in Column A that actually have an
entered
data value of, say, 0-249, 250-499, etc.

2. A formula that can be copied and dragged down is not necessary. If
could just get a formula that could be applied to each of those data
ranges,
that would do the trick for me.

Thanks.

Motown Mick

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Ideally, if
there is a formula command that can point to a section of data in a
column
like this, and perform an operation on it, that I can direct to a
particular
cell, I would like to know how to do that.

There is, but you need to tell us *EXACTLY* what you want to do and
tell
us
*EXACTLY* where the data is.

For example, This formula, when copied down, will sum every 10 rows in
column A:

=SUM(OFFSET(A$1,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*10,,10))

The first cell will sum A1:A10
The next cell will sum A11:A20
The next cell will sum A21:A30
etc
etc

Biff

"Motown Mick" <Motown wrote in message
I have a column of data listed in ascending order. I would like to
pull
sections of it out (i.e. 0-10, 11-20, etc.) without having to
manually
go
through the column and highlight that section, copy, paste, etc.
Ideally,
if
there is a formula command that can point to a section of data in a
column
like this, and perform an operation on it, that I can direct to a
particular
cell, I would like to know how to do that.

I can't figure out what version of Excel I have. It's whatever
comes
with
MS Windows XP.