Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey Richard Buttrey is offline

Default New numbers

How are you defining the target cell in the second workbook?

Is it a named cell, or a cell which has a varying position, e.g. the
next blank cell in a column of invoice numbers?

It's not immediately apparent why you need this first workbook. Is it
perhaps that it's used to generate the next invoice number, which may
be used by other applications. i.e. the invoice numbers in your
managed fleet workbook are not necessarily being incremented by 1 each
time.

Regards

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:35:28 -0700, Larry
wrote:

Hi folks, I appreciate you being there to help. I am a novice so need lots of
help with this stuff.

I have a workbook that I use to generate a new number each time it is
opened. The number is used to index descrepencies on autos in a managed fleet.
It looks like this in "thisworkbook" :

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Columns("B:IV").Select
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Select
Selection.Value = Selection.Offset(-1, 0).Value + 1
MsgBox "To copy this number hold the Ctrl and C keys together. The new
number box buzzes. Don't close this page yet. Click on the waiver card tab at
the bottom of the window to open it again. Hold down the Ctrl and V keys
together, the new number will be entered in the new waiver block you had
selected. Now you can go to bottom of the window and right click the New
Number page and select close: NOTE:You have to close this before starting!"
ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub

The user: drivers, click a hyperlinked cell on a sheet designated for a
vehicle, then copy and paste the new generated numberfrom the opened workbook
into the target cell in a different workbook.
Oh how I wish there was a way to have the active workbook target cell just
enter the new number when it is clicked. No more cut and paste which confuses
some of the users. Any takers on this one? thanks, larry

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK