Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey Richard Buttrey is offline

Default Conditional Statement to Compute Average

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:01:01 -0700, goudmic
wrote:

Is there a way to calculate the average of a list of numbers only if another
field in the same row contains a specific character? I have a spreadsheet
that contains lines of data with dollar values in one field and either an "M"
or an "R" in another field. I want to calculate the average dollar value for
only those lines that have a corresponding "M" in them.

$ values in B, M/R in A

=SUMIF(A:A,"M",B:B)/COUNTIF(A:A,"M")

HTH
__