Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
shail shail is offline

Default Not sure which formula to use..

You didn't specified what is "that number" or "this number".

You can write the formula as

=if(and(a1=1,a1<=3,b1=35),resulting number*this
number,if(and(a1=4,a1<=10,b1=35),resulting number*this
number,if(..............)))

so on..

If you could specify what are resulting number and this number it would
be easier for me to write a formula for you.

Thanks

Shail

wrote:
Hello all... not sure if this is even possible to do in Excel but I
have a worksheet where I am trying to calculate an answer using
multiple conditions. Column A has years of service (1, 5, 10, etc etc
etc). Column B has hours per week (35 or 37.5 depending on where a
person works.) Column C will be the result of the formula.

What I want to do is have a formula calculate an entitlement of time
based on that first column AND second column which could contain a wide
range of information.

ie. if column A equals a number between 1 and 3, and column B equals
35, then multiply the resulting number by "this amount".....

BUT

if column A equals a number between 4 and 10, and column B equals 35,
then multiply the resulting number by "that amount".....

For Example
((Column A=2, Column B=35), therefore the formula would look at column
A, verify that it is between 1 and 3, look at column B verify that it
is 35, and then multiply the result by say the number "5"))

but...

If column A=5, Column B=35, then the formula would look at column A,
see that it equals the second condition ((between 4 and 10)), now
verify against column B and multiply the result by say the number "8".

Initially I had thought of the "If/Then" function, but there are
multiple conditions because it's really "If" this, AND this, then do
"that" but "If" That, AND that, then do "This"....

I can't figure out what formula almost combines the "If/then" function
and allows a mathematical calculation to be attached to the If/Then
condition.

Oh... I need to calculate this for almost 1500 employees so that's the
reason I don't want to do this by hand......