Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
HuskerBronco HuskerBronco is offline

Default Skip blank columns with LOOKUP formula

Thank you, so much, guys...!!! :)

excelent...look below. I have a separate question for you.

The formula provided by you, Biff, was perfect. But, I need to carry
this formula one step further.

You asked why I had so many dates listed in my worksheet. In reality,
columns in Schedules!B:IU are not all dates. For the months of late
August thru early December, I have eliminated all dates that fall on
Monday or Tuesday night. More than likely, I will also eliminate the
Wednesday dates, as well. After the first week of December, ALL dates
thru the first week of January are included, since BOWL games may fall
on any day of a given week in that time period. Eventually, I will go
thru the BOWL game schedule and eliminate the dates that do not have a
bowl game scheduled.

Also, as I stated earlier, Schedules!B:IU do NOT consist of dates
alone. The column preceding each date on the worksheet is an empty
column for a HOME or AWAY designation. An @ is placed in this column
for AWAY games, and the column is left blank for HOME games.

For example:

B3 = (blank) C3= Tennessee
means a team plays Tennesse AT HOME on that particular date (C1).

B3 = @ C3= Tennessee
means a team plays AT TENNESSEE on that particular date (C1).

This is where I need to carry your formula a bit further.....and, I
hope this doesn't get too complicated. What I need is for the formula
to not only ignore BLANK cells...but, also cells that contain an "@".
This will return TEAM NAMES only to each spot on the individual
schedules. Is this even possible???

excelent....here's my question for you. You suggested the following
formula:

=INDIRECT("Schedules!"&kol("B"&MATCH(A1,Schedules!
A1:A100,0))&MATCH(A1,Schedules!A1:A100,0))

That formula contains my first experience with the use of kol. What is
kol...??? and, where can I learn more about it?? Thanks for your
info.

--
HuskerBronco
HuskerBronco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4803