Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DaveM DaveM is offline

Default Index, Match

Hi Toppers
Thanks for your response.

I changed E1:E100 to the named range I inserted for the whole array and
changed B1:B100 to the named range containing my look up value 'Total
Average', then changed the look up value from 1 to 2

and

that's done the trick nicely. Many thanks

Does the * just signify that anything could be in front or after my Match
value of Total Average?

"Toppers" wrote:

Dave,
Try ...

=INDEX(E1:E100,MATCH("*Total Average*",B1:B100,),1)

HTH

"DaveM" wrote:

Hi,

I have a 2 columns of data that is downloaded from an extrernal source. The
list varies in length. At the bottom of the entries in column B is a cell
that calculates the average of all the entries above. The cell to the left is
titled 'Total Average (xxx)' where xxx is the number of entries.

I need to link to the Total Average figure from another worksheet.

I have been using the Index, Match function elsewhere. But because xxx
varies this is not possible.

Can I somehow use the Left function with Index Match such that only Total
Average is the Matched variable? And if so how do I write the formula for
this?

Or can somebody suggest an alternative method?

Thanks

Dave