Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
burnsbyrne burnsbyrne is offline

Default Hiding rows while sheet is protected

I have several spreadsheets that I put together for other people to
enter data and report results. The sheets are made of about 25 sets
with four rows in each set. Rows #3 and #4 are where data is
entered. I have shaded them green to distinguish them from the rows
that contain formulas. Rows #1 and #2 are formulas, row #1 is a
percentage based on the numbers entered in rows 3 and 4, e.g. 75%. Row
2 is a fraction based on the numbers entered in rows 3 and 4, e.g. 3/4.
When the sheet is used as a report the green rows are hidden and the
report is printed. I set up two custom views called "green rows
hidden" and "green rows seen" to quickly switch back and forth between
the two views.

These reports are being used by a variety of people with widely varying
computer skill. Despite frequent instruction some users regularly
over-write formulas. I tried protecting the sheets, leaving the data
entry cells unlocked, but when the sheets are protected, the custom
views don't work and the green rows can't be hidden. What I would like
to know is: is there a way to protect the formula cells and still be
able to hide cells using the custom view function?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

--
burnsbyrne