Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default WHAT ARE PARENTHESIS IN FORMULAS?

The order or precedence in Excel is raised to a power, multiply/divide,
add/subtract

Your formula therefore is saying Divide (H25*J25) by SUM(H24:H25) *then* add
(H24*J24).

I assume that you actually want to work out (H24*J24) add (H25*J25) then
divide the answer by SUM(H24:H25) if so try:

=(H24*J24+H25*J25)/SUM(H24:H25)

Note that you don't need extra brackets in the (H24*J24+H25*J25) because of
the precedence of how Excel will do the calculations - Multiplication first
then addition.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"ann" wrote in message
I have a formula: =(h24*j24)+(h25*j25)/sum(h24:25)

But I have no idea how many parentheses I am suppose to place around the
formula or what additional ones I need other than the one that surround
the
indivudual formula.