Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SamuelT SamuelT is offline

Default Unidentical VLOOKUP

Hi all,

I'm currently using the below formula to check if a project name
appears in another spreadsheet:

=IF(VLOOKUP(A4,'Retail Tracker 3.3.xls'!twooffive,1,FALSE)=D4,"Y","")

I have a slight problem though as a number of projects names have extra
words either side of them - thus making the VLOOKUP obsolete. For
example - in the documents with the above formula a project appears as
'Newark-On-Trent', however in the file 'Retail Tracker 3.3.xls, it
might appear as 'Newark-on-Trent Broad Street' or even 'Broad Street
Newark-on-Trent'.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to my current formula (or another
formula altogether) that would allow for these differences in name, but
still pick it up if (again, for example) 'Newark-On-Trent' appears in
the project name.

Hope that's clear.

TIA,

SamuelT