Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default sorting a concatenated cell

Use =Trim(), =Left(), and =Mid() to separate the names into parts once more.

But this time, don't delete those pieces. Just hide the columns if you want.

Then you can sort by each piece.

In fact, you can use a formula to concatenate the pieces into the full name.
But I'd do the data entry using those idividual fields.

wmack wrote:

I have a cell that is entered FIRSTNAME, LAST NAME. What I have done is
using TRIM LEFT MID and Finally Concatenate, switched the First name
with the last name in a different column. Now all I want to be able to
do is to sort the cells alphabetically. I am sure that I need to use
another approach to this.

--
wmack
wmack's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37801