Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] conorfinnegan@gmail.com is offline

Default Index function and changing criteria help.

I have 9000 rows of data and I would like to use the index function to
list the top 10 or first 10 values for each of my 35 categories. My
data is listed out as follows. (Please note that Player 1 for baseball
is not the same player 1 for football)

Baseball Player 1 5
Baseball Player 2 3
Baseball Player 3 2
Baseball Player 4 6
Baseball Player 5 1
Football Player 1 20
Football Player 2 30
Football Player 3 15
Football Player 4 18
Football Player 5 31

So then my hope is to have another sheet that draws from this data and
puts it in order while indexing and offsetting the following column -
not as big a deal. It should look something like this: (only top 3 for
this example)

Baseball
Player 4 6
Player 1 5
Player 2 3

Football Player 5 31
Player 2 30
Player 1 20

I have changed the data to keep it simple. I do not have 9000 rows of
this crap. As I mentioned, I would like to show the top 10
corresponding values. I can sort the data on the sheet to sort column
a and then column c to put everything in order from the beginning if it
is too difficult. I tried using the index function on the data and I
get the baseball value to get me what I want but then it gets to
football and can't do it because the part that changes the row not says
1:10, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know a pivot table works for
this so please don't suggest that as a solution. Thanks for your help
in advance, whoever you are.