JulieD

Hi David

sorry i must be dense tonight (denser?) ... if you've typed "" into a cell
then it is not blank any more - it contains a zero length string

.... not sure where the copy & paste special comes into it, though. If i
type "" into A10, i see "" in cell A10. If i click on cell A10 and copy &
paste special - values back into A10 i still see "" - using excel 2003.

However if i type the following formula into cell A10
=IF(A1="","","") and then copy / paste special values on A10 i see a "blank"
cell which when i use =ISBLANK(A10) returns FALSE. - which is what i expect
as "" is not blank it's a "zero lenght string"

Cheers
JulieD

"David" wrote in message
Julie,
With respect, please read my question. I am asking about "" after copy and
paste values
Thanks

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi David

"" doesn't make a cell blank - it adds a zero length text string into the
cell.

generally the ISBLANK function is used to check if a cell is blank or
not -
a cell with "" in it will return FALSE on this test.

Cheers
JulieD

"David" wrote in message
Greetings and thanks in advance for your time.
The following scenario captures the essence of the problem:
In an empty spreadsheet, if I enter "" into cell A10 and then copy and
paste
values, A10 appears to be blank. However, if I select cell A1 and press
[end]
then down arrow, cell A10 will be selected. This suggests that A10 is
somehow
different to it's neighbouring blank cells? Can anyone please throw any
light
on this?
--
David