Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Conan Kelly Conan Kelly is offline

Default Conditional formatting similar to shading alternating rows

bj,

Thanks for the feedback, but that won't accomplish what I'm trying to do.

your suggestion will shade alternating rows. I don't want alternating rows shaded, I want groups of rows shaded based on what the
value is in the first cell of that row. Please read the bottom part of my post for an explination.

Thanks again,

Conan

"bj" wrote in message ...
It may be because the ISodd function comes from the analysis toolpak

try formula is =mod(row(),2)=1

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

Hello all,

I'm trying to use the following formula in conditional formatting in cell A2 when the range A2:AW64 is selected (this conditional
formatting will be copied to all cells in the selected range):

Formula is: =isodd($A2)

The error I keep getting is this:

"You may not use references to other worksheets or other workbooks for Conditional Formatting criteria."

I'm trying to use this conditional formatting because column A is our "Order" column. "Order" can be from 1 to 13 and this
column
is sorted ascending. There can be multiple rows in each Order number. So I want to shade all 1's, 3's, 5's, etc... so that each
Order group has alternating shading.

I also want to use conditional formatting, not VBA, to get this to work. In the future, rows might be added to an Order number
or
two and I want the shading to automatically adjust.

What is going on here? Does anyone know how to get this to work?

--
Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly