Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Conan Kelly Conan Kelly is offline

Default Conditional formatting similar to shading alternating rows

Hello all,

I'm trying to use the following formula in conditional formatting in cell A2 when the range A2:AW64 is selected (this conditional
formatting will be copied to all cells in the selected range):

Formula is: =isodd($A2)

The error I keep getting is this:

"You may not use references to other worksheets or other workbooks for Conditional Formatting criteria."

I'm trying to use this conditional formatting because column A is our "Order" column. "Order" can be from 1 to 13 and this column
is sorted ascending. There can be multiple rows in each Order number. So I want to shade all 1's, 3's, 5's, etc... so that each
Order group has alternating shading.

I also want to use conditional formatting, not VBA, to get this to work. In the future, rows might be added to an Order number or
two and I want the shading to automatically adjust.

What is going on here? Does anyone know how to get this to work?

--
Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly