Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default How to open xls file without recalculation?

Open another Excel workbook first.

Set Calculation to Manual.

Open the next workbook and calc mode will be manual also, no matter which mode
it was saved in.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 17 Aug 2006 00:25:25 -0700, wrote:

Is there a way to open an xls file without causing recalculation?

I know that if the xls file were saved with the Calculation option set
to Manual and not Recalculate Before Save (for extra measure), I can
subsequently open the file and there will be no recalculation.

But I am asking about an xls file that I did not save -- for example,
an xls file that is sent to me, and I have no control over the
calculation options that were selected.