Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Can we use multiple if with VLookup function

If you want to check if the word "the" appears in cell A1, you could
use this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("the",A1)),"yes","no")

FIND is case-sensitive - you might like to use SEARCH instead if case
is not important. Instead of "yes" here, you could have your VLOOKUP
function, and instead of "no" you could have another similar formula to
look for a second word and do something else if that word is present.
Is this something you can work with?

Hope this helps.

Pete

Multiple IF''''s with Vlookup wrote:
Thanks Pete!!!
Actually I have to pickup a word from the string. Example("This is the best").
Now the condition is if the word is "the" than we need to refer to the list
of items, So i believe Vllokup function will be used.

If you can send accross your e-mail id than i'll be able to send the excel
sheet with all the details.

Hope this thing works.

Thanks!!!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

I also don't understand what it is that you want to do. However, you
might be able to make use of something like this:

=IF(condition_1,vlookup_1,IF(condition_2,vlookup_2 ,"neither of these"))

Hope you can make sense of that. <g

Pete

Multiple IF''s with Vlookup wrote:
Thanks!!!
Yes, it is bit confusing. Actually I want to use Vlookup function with IF
statement.
Please let me know in case i need to send some more information.
Thanks again.

"paul" wrote:

your post doesnt make sense to me but this formula is my interpretation of
your criteria.
--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"Multiple IF's with Vlookup" wrote:

Need some help.

I have to extract multiple words from the string using VLookup function.

(Example :"Cell A1 "This is the best example")

Example : Finding "This" from cell A1- result VLookup (Sheet1) A1:D12
Finding "IS" from cell A1- result VLookup (Sheet2) A1:D20
Finding "BEST" from cell A1- result "Excellect"
Need to haev function for this

Thanks,