Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default Adding numbers within an already created value

BLK,

Try:

1) =SUM(--MID(H6,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(H6))),1))
array entered with Ctrl + Shift + Enter not just Enter
or
=SUMPRODUCT(--MID(H6,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(H6))),1))
normally entered.

2)=IF(ISERROR(FIND(7,H6)),"","My Word")

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"BLK" wrote in message
There are two ways for me to solve what I'm trying to do:

1) Can excel add numbers within a value? For example if 17 is in a cell,
can
I tell excel to add 1+7 and return 8? Or if the value is 325 than excel
would
return a '1' (as 3+2+5 = 10 and 1+0=1)

2) Or is there a way for excel to check whether a specific integer is
contained within a value? For example, if the number in the cell is 17,
is
there a way for excel to check whether a '7' is contained within the cell
and
return a value or word I specify?

Hope that's clear. Thanks.