Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pgiessler pgiessler is offline

Default Counting groups of exact numbers in a huge list (column)

This formula has been a great help to me. Thanks for the post; however what
if the items have an alpha-numeric coding (like automobile license plates)?
Is there an easy way to count unique labels in a list when the data in in a
text format?

Thanks

"tjtjjtjt" wrote:

If they are all numbers:
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A1:A11,A1:A11)0,1))

You can see this page for variations and details:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q268001/

The formula is an Array, so you should press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to finish it.

tj

"*Jarom*" wrote:

I need to know how I can write a formula to count a very big list of numbers
and return the total number of numbers that are different in the list. For
example:
8800719
8800718
8800718
8800717
8800719
8800715
8800719
8800715
As you can see there are 8 numbers in this list but of those 8 there are
only 4 different case numbers. So if I had a list of several hundred or
thousand case numbers like the ones above, and many of them had duplicates
somewhere in the list, how can I get excel to give me a total number of all
the similar case numbers?