Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Grouping Cell Values Together

Yes, that is what the formula does.

You could make the named ranges cover a much larger range than you
need, so that you do not have to adjust them each time - Insert | Name
| Define will show you a list of the named ranges you have. Just click
on one and you can see what it refers to in the bottom panel - adjust
it for each one to cover 1000 rows if you want to, then click OK. The
ranges must be the same size for the formula to work.

You could set up dynamic ranges which will adjust themselves
automatically to the amount of data you have - this site gives more
details:

http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Hope this helps.

Pete

steve65 wrote:
Thank you for the information. I end up with the attached results:

Which are great. If I understand the formula right we are comparing
everything in the named ranges type and age with the corresponding row
and column labels we created in the second table shown above in red.
This is more of what I was looking for because now I can group by the
other categories and create histograms for them.

Is there a way to automatically adjust the ranges as additional data is
added or do I have to continuously update the ranges?

Steve

|Filename: results.JPG |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5203 |

steve65