Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

Sounds like a data validation issue then.

Select the cell in question, go to Data--Validation and see if there is a
restriction on the type of data that can be put in the cell (i.e., text, a
list, a number, etc.) Clear whatever validation there is and see if you can
enter .5 then.

Dave

"shelian1" wrote:

I have tried that, but it don't work. You see all I enter in the cell is a
letter like "L" & the system automatically figures it as "1", but there isn't
any formula in the cell you put the letter in just a drop down list showing
the letter allowed to be put into the cells. I can't even manually put in
".5" it won't except it so that tells me when they set up the form at
Microsoft they validated these cells & I don't have a clue how to fix it to
read as .5.

"Dave F" wrote:

Format the cells that need to show .5 as decimals. It sounds like your cells
are fomatted to round up to the whole digit.

"shelian1" wrote:

Since it is an attendance form for employees we are figuring an unexcused
absence as "1" point so if I enter "U" which means "Unexcused" then the form
figures it as 1 point. But I need it to figure if I put a "G" in the cell it
reads it as 1/2 point (or .5) not "1". I hope this explained it better.
There is only 2 letters that need to figure as .5 the rest is fine as "1".

"Dave F" wrote:

What do you mean by 1/2 point?

"shelian1" wrote:

I have downloaded this template from the website & have done some revamping
to fit our needs. The letter codes in this template stand for different
things (of course) & each letter figures as one point. I need two of these
letters to figure as 1/2 point. Is there a way to do this?