Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default vlookup and hlookup

E-mail me at toppers<atjohntopley.fsnet.co.uk and I'll post you an example
spreadsheet.

"hotelmasters" wrote:

I appreciate the help, but to be honest i have no idea what you mean.

"Toppers" wrote:

In your first table, set dates to be 01/01/2006 (Jan),01/02/2006 (Feb) etc
and format as Custom=mmm

In your second table, format dates as above for required quarter.

Assuming data in table 1 starts in cell B2 , then in cell B2 of second table
put the following and copy across/down as required

=INDEX(Sheet1!$B$2:$G$100,MATCH($A2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A $100,0),MATCH(B$1,Sheet1!$B$1:$N$1,0))

HTH

"hotelmasters" wrote:

I have a table which is static that contains figures from all months of the
year for individual items.
J F M A M J.....
Item 1 10 20 15 10 5 7
Item 2 7 58 45 25 4 24

If on another table (which is dyanmic - the months will change each quarter)
Month 1 Month 2 Month 3

I want the underlined cells to reference the same item from the other table
for whichever month is displayed in the 'month1" cell. I assume that i
need to use both the vlookup and hlookup functions because i want it to look
up the "item" through vlookup and the month with hlookup, but i am not
familiar with how the hlookup works or how to combine the two into the same
formula.
Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.