Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Linked file always opens as read-only

I don't have another guess.

Maybe a post in one of the MSWord newsgroups would help.

Brian999 wrote:

On a few occasions, yes, but I always get a message informing me that is the
case. 98-99% of the time, this is not the problem.

The weirdest part is that if I copy the cells to the clipboard and paste it
into Word as a table, all the links work fine. Unfortunately, due to other
concerns, that is not a good long-term solution.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Any chance that you're linking to files on a network share that you only have
ReadOnly access to?

Any chance that the file is in use? (Being edited by another person???)

Brian999 wrote:

In Excel2003, I have a spreadsheet with a column of hyperlinks, each going to
a different word document. None of them are read-only files, but whenever I
click the links to open them from Excel, they always open as read-only. Is
there a way to stop this from happening? I want to edit the files once I open
them.

--

Dave Peterson

--